Friday, September 12, 2008

Nice to Meet You... Where's the Teacher?

So, we had Grandparents' Day at school last week.  It's always a lovely affair.  The constant rain of September let up for a day so our students could eat outside with their various Pops, MeMaws, Nanas, and other assorted generational predecessors.  It's a day when you get to introduce yourself to some of the most important people in your kids' lives.
Outside, I carried on a conversation with an elderly gentleman about sports and other manly things, when his granddaughter - my student - came over and hugged him.
"Oh, is this your granddaughter?"  I asked.
"Yep, she's the jewel of my eye."
"I can see why," I told him as I noticed the time.  Then the six year-old hugged me, too.
"Are you a teacher?" he asked, sizing me up.
"Yes."
"Her teacher?"
"Yeah.  Nice talking with you."  Then I led his granddaughter and the rest of my kids back to class.  I never checked to see if he picked his jaw up off the floor.

Despite this, I can tell that I'm making great inroads in the community.  The longer I'm there, the more accepted I become as a teacher.  I've never been the most confident teacher.  I know I have a ton of things to improve on as a technician in the classroom, but I think I've convinced our families that I care about their kids.  I field questions about what grade I'm going teach the next year.  I get parents who tell me they have requested my class for their kid.  Things aren't perfect, but it's nice to go to work at a place where you feel needed and respected.

Having a male in an elementary setting is a tough sell for many parents initially.  I think my big thing was helping parents to overcome their fear.  I've been to a lot of our after school activities, am very involved in the PTA, and try my best to be outgoing around parents and kids (despite a natural tendency towards introversion).  I don't know when it happens, but eventually, the tide turns.  Things get easier.

1 comment:

Andy said...

This is my first time ever using a blog so please pardon if it is placed in the wrong location.
I have worked in a total of three schools since beginning my career as a teacher in 2000.
Oddly enough, I began teaching in an all-girls detention/therapeutic facility. The first question I was asked in the interview (by the superintendent no less) was "Are you married? HUH?
I was in charge of the educational needs of forty 7-18yr. old girls with needs I could not begin to meet. That is when a wonderful friend/teacher's aide came into the picture. Between us, we decided from the first week of school that she was going to be the "good guy" who listened to issues that needed an ear and to take care of the "girly" issues that were sure to crop up. I, for the first time ever accepted the role of the "Bad Guy". My focus was school work and enforcement associated with classroom management. I ended up filling that role pretty well :)
By the grace of God, I was able to see many girls move through my classroom into the "regular" public education classroom located off campus. That experience turned out well and ended successfully after one school year (sigh). At that point, I believed-"it's all downhill from here."

If this is the wrong place to post, please let me know. I am a new member of the MMEET program. DIGGITY!)