Thursday, September 18, 2008

It's Pat!

Sometimes things are just different.
I have a young autistic boy this year. He's high functioning, but one of the things that come along with the diagnosis is a lack of social skills. This was made evidently clear to me yesterday when I sent him to the bathroom on his own from computer lab. About one minute later, I realized that this could be a mistake. The last time I sent him by himself, I found him 7 minutes later with his pants around his ankles, butt cheeks pressed against the wall, and hands over his crotch, all while singing "This Little Light of Mine" and bobbing up and down. Needless to say, he's had a six year-old chaperone since then.
So, back to yesterday, I dart down to the restroom to check on him. He's in one of the stalls, grunting. Next, he tells the toilet paper, "It's time to go to work." So, I go back to the room and send someone down to check on the boy. Then he comes strolling into the room. Doing the math in me head, I think that there was definitely not enough time elapsed to finish "putting the toilet paper to work," wash hands, and walk back to the classroom.
"Hey, Buddy," I say, "Did you wash your hands?"
"Oh," he says, "I forgot," and he walks back to the door. "Thanks!" and then he patted me twice on the crotch as he strolled down to the bathroom.
That's right. He gave me the One Handed Poo Pat on the Crotch.
I don't think this really has much to do with MMEET, other than, I may need witnesses when I give my deposition.
Keep vigilant.

No comments: