Saturday, June 14, 2008

My reflections on gender and media

Throughout MMEET program of 2007-2008, I came to know that my kids have been affected by media in spite of my efforts. I thought I had been selecting quite a bit materials when my kids were choosing books, games, and, movies. I was surprised to see my two kids' concepts on gender. It seems that my kids have been influenced by more media than I thought. Originally, I expected that their concept on gender are shaped by mainly myself and my wife, but it seems not. I think this is a very personal realization on raising my kids. It seems that my kids have learned more about societal norm, rather than family norm which I had expected so long time. MMEET program gave me a time to think about my kids and also other kids in regard to media roles. I feel I need to change my course that I have taken for 12 years for my kids into different directions. Maybe it may not be possible. But I became alert and aware of the power of various media.

No comments: