Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thanks for the revelations!!!

Let me first respond to a couple of things that my colleagues have said.

First Kangmo:

"Frankly speaking, whenever I see a tall and looks-strong guy, I wish I could be like that guy for a moment. But I soon realize I am not that guy. I just see myself as I am. " I can relate to this statement. I'm going to take a guess and say that you would look at me as that guy (tall and possibly looks strong). The crazy part about that is, when I was younger I used to be tall but very thin and I always wanted to be bigger and now that I am, I still see myself a lot of the time as that skinny kid and still to this day, sometimes think that I could be a bit bigger. I am comfortable with my physique but always tell myself I could stand "a bit more size"

Now Grant:

"All of the Spiderman costumes had padding to make the wearer look very muscular." I saw the exact same thing and didn't really think anything of it, but now that you mentioned it, there was never padding on costumes when I was elementary age! I used to put my own padding in my costumes to look bigger (usually some sweaters or something). Just as the movie touched on the increase in size of action figures muscles it has now found its way into letting children "alter" there own body in a matter of seconds.

On a different note. A couple of weeks ago, I went on a field trip and therefore dressed down. I usually were a button down shirt and tie, but on the field trip I wore jeans, sneakers, and a hooded sweatshirt. When I got back, one of the 3rd grade African American boys said to one of his peers as I walked passed and waved to them "See. That's how a black man is supposed to dress!" I stopped cold in my tracks, slowly turned around as I gather my thoughts about what to say because at that point I was so highly disappointed to hear such a statement. To this child he thinks that the so called thug image that is heavily exploited in the media is not only the norm, but the only way! I calmed myself, and asked him if when I wear my shirt and tie that makes me less of a black man or let alone a man? He answered no. I then asked if I was a CEO, would it be appropriate for me to dress like this all the time? He answered no. I then asked, well why would you say this is how a black man is supposed to dress? He shrugged and said nothing. I told him something to the effect of, what you see on the TV isn't always a true reflection of real life, there is an appropriate time and place for relaxed clothing that suits your personal taste and don't fall into the trap of stereotyping and limiting yourself or anyone else by having narrow expectations. Doing so will limit your own experiences in life. I wonder if he does not have a male role model that ever dresses up? If not, I'm even more glad that I wear a nice shirt and tie everyday.

1 comment:

Roy F. Fox said...

Anthony:

The "clothing" example and the kindergarten kids not being even aware of what "Mr." means are superb connections to the reading. This is a large part of the MMEET work--linking the book to such specific moments! Thanks.