Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Chapter Five

I have decided to comment on every chapter after I am done reading it and so I will start with chapter five by saying that my father was a Highway Patrolman and a local minister. Therefore like many of the men and boys mentioned in the book I to struggled to have a good relationship with my father. He was my spirtual leader as well as the represenative of the law and it made for a very difficult relationship. I am sure it was difficult because in my mind I was afraid to be anything less than what I was expected to be and therefore I never tried to reciprocate whatever he tried to give.

I went in to teaching because I wanted to be a mentor to those who struggled to have someone to talk to the way I did. I wanted to be a mentor to those who needed it because of broken homes or other reasons. Call me idealistic, but I hoped to make a difference when I went in to teaching. I try to be a postive male role model to the young men that I teach in the hope that I can make a positive difference.

I think this is a great book because it helps me to recognize the shortcomings that I have in my own relationships with my son, my brothers, and my dad. If I get nothing else out of this book it will be the reminder that my relationships in my own personal life can always improve. This book to me is like a good therapy session only without the cost of paying for it by the hour.

2 comments:

Roy F. Fox said...

My father was definitely not a talker--so, as the book states, my mother often served as a "nurse and referee"! I don't think I would have survived without her! Like many other guys, my self-image is often still as "the skinny little runt" (what my siblings often called me!). Later, of course, I over-compensated via exercise, weights, etc. Now, however, I'm just elderly, pathetic, and trying to avoid hard time in prison.

Amy said...

Grant,

Your father as both minister and police officer must be a one-of-a-kind experience! Was this at the same time? I wonder how you read Chad's post as he describes experiences as a police officer, and how this relates to your views of your father's role as patrolman and minister.