Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Good Morning Ms./Mrs. King!!!

This semester I have had the pleasure of rotating through every grade level before my student teaching next semester. On occasions I have the opportunities to substitute teach in my school. Today was one of those days. I got to sub in my favorite grade level...kindergarten (and by favorite I mean my least favorite). I just thought I would give a quick remark to the fact that in my school I, besides the head custodian, am THE only male figure in the entire school. So today as I substituted in kindergarten, I was constantly called Ms. or Mrs. King. Each time I would asked "What did you just call me? Do I look like a Ms. or Mrs.?" More often than not, this left the students with a look of bewilderment on their face because they truly did not know to refer to me as Mr. Apparently they have had very little to no exposure to males that they were to refer to as Mr. I can handle being called Ms. or Mrs. occasionally but for students not even to recognize that I am a Mr. or a sir (one student referred to me as ma'am and truly was not trying to be funny).

Events like these make me think of that education urban legend or joke (whichever you prefer to call it) that some of you I'm sure have heard, that goes something like, "A young child came home after his first week of school and the mother asked how he liked his new teacher. The child responded, "I don't know, I haven't met her yet, she keeps sending her husband in to teach us."

- King

No comments: