Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Not sure what to do...

Just a quick note about what happened during our writing time. I had the students write about what they would do on a rainy day. I then collected their journals and read them aloud and had the class applauded in different ways after reading them. Long story short, I got to one story that said something like "I would play games and read books. Then I would call my teacher and have a sleepover..." This was written by a girl (the students didn't know that) but I felt like I had to immediately address this and say that my number is unlisted, no student has ever called me, I don't have sleepovers, etc. This just put a little uneasy feeling on me and now I'm wondering if I should make a copy of it and discuss this with my principal just to cover myself. Any thoughts.

1 comment:

Roy F. Fox said...

Hmmm.... My instinct is just to leave it all alone. If your quote was exact, it does not mean "cause-effect." That is, the student could phone you and then have a sleep over with her friends, and the two may have nothing to do with each other....